Frequently asked questions for SDL Trados Studio Service Release 1
By updating to SR1 you are able to benefit from a number of key enhancements to SDL Trados Studio 2021 including:
Increased productivity with automatic tag placement:
- SDL Trados Studio 2021 now automatically insert tags in your translation segment.
- Offline project packages downloaded from SDL Trados Live now include project translation memories (TM) and termbases, enabling users to work completely offline in SDL Trados Studio
- Better synchronization of project settings (including QA checker and tag verifier) when moving between SDL Trados Studio and SDL Trados Live
- Ability to filter cloud projects in the Studio projects view, based on the SDL account you are signed in with.
- SDL Language Cloud
- New term recognition settings to bring more search flexibility and parity with SDL MultiTerm.
- Localized online help.
Upgrade to SDL MultiTerm 2021 SR1 to ensure full compatibility with SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1. In addition, you will also benefit from a number of key enhancements including:
- Improved usability when editing terms: Search, filter and quickly add picklist items using both mouse or keyboard
- Faster listing of available termbases, browsing and adding of terms in both SDL MultiTerm and SDL Trados Studio.
Automatic tag placement works in the following scenarios:
- No TM match scenarios - you can select the ‘apply AutoTag’ command to add tags to a manually typed draft translation segment before confirming it. This speeds up applying formatting and tags and makes you more productive.
- Fuzzy TM matches - Studio will attempt to automatically apply tags to fuzzy matches found in the translation memory though fuzzy match repair.
- Pre-translation - if fuzzy match repair is enabled in the project settings, tags will automatically be inserted into the target text during pre-translation.
No, at this time automatic tag placement only works with file-based translation memories in SDL Trados Studio 2021. Support for server and cloud TMs is planned for 2021.
With SR1 we have introduced automatic tag placement. This technology uses upLIFT technology to automatically insert tags in your target text. If you are working with TMs created in SDL Trados Studio 2015 or earlier, you will be able to upgrade them to benefit from this feature. Studio will give you a gentle reminder with an orange icon and tooltip to recommend that you upgrade your TM.
If your TM has been created in SDL Trados Studio 2017 or a later version, your TM is ready to work with upLIFT and will benefit from automatic tag placement straight away. However, if the orange icon and tooltip does appear, it is good to upgrade your TM for maximum efficiency as advised.
Those using an SDL Trados Live Essential Business or an SDL Trados Live Team subscription can download a project package from SDL Trados Live, so that the recipient of the package can work completely offline in SDL Trados Studio. With SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1, project packages downloaded from SDL Trados Live now also include a project translation memory (TM) and termbase.
Please note: a project TM is a subset of a main TM, containing only the translation units from the main TM that are needed for a given project.
If you are using SDL Trados Studio 2021 or 2019, you can access SDL Machine Translation through your ‘Language Cloud’ provider settings in Studio. If you are using SDL Trados Studio 2017 or 2015, you will need to download the SDL Machine Translation Cloud app from the SDL AppStore to benefit from SDL’s Machine Translation and these new language combinations.
When opening SDL Trados Studio 2021/SDL MultiTerm 2021, if you are using AutoUpdate, the notification area in SDL Trados Studio/SDL MultiTerm will inform you about the availability of the download. If you do not use AutoUpdate, please follow the steps below to download SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1/SDL MultiTerm 2021 SR1:
- Exit SDL Trados Studio 2021 and SDL MultiTerm 2021, and close any Microsoft Office applications.
- Login to your SDL Account.
- Go to the "Downloads" section. Once in the "Downloads" section, you will see that your SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1/SDL MultiTerm 2021 SR1 download is clearly marked.
- Expand the new SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1/SDL MultiTerm 2021 SR1 product name and you will find the SR1 downloads within:
- SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1
- SDL MultiTerm 2021 SR1
- Click "Download" on each and save the executable files to your local hard disk. Once downloaded, run both executable files one at a time and follow the wizard driven process.
If you have any problems with the installation or licensing of SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1, please submit a request on the Solution Finder.