Watch the five-minute video on how to use AutoSuggest.
- Translation memory - you get suggestions - 100% fuzzy matches or concordance searches - that are drawn directly from your TM as you type, including translation units (TUs) and fragments, using fine-grained alignment (new in Studio 2017)
- Machine translation - e.g. Google Translate or SDL Language Cloud
- SDL MultiTerm termbase - you just add terms to your termbase as you’re translating or reviewing and they immediately become available for placement via AutoSuggest
- AutoText – you can manually add your own words, phrases or terms to your AutoText list which can be used with AutoSuggest
- AutoSuggest Dictionaries – created by extracting phrases from your translation memory and placing them in a bilingual dictionary file. To ensure the statistical relevance of the extracted phrases you need a translation memory that contains at least 10,000 translation units (TUs).
If you are using SDL Trados Studio Freelance you can purchase the AutoSuggest Creator add-on to create AutoSuggest dictionaries. Review your order details to see if this was included in your purchase.
If you are using SDL Trados Studio Professional, AutoSuggest Creator is included in your edition. You will need at least 10,000 translation units in your TM to create an AutoSuggest dictionary.
If you have one of the sources described above which are needed to use AutoSuggest then you can enable the feature by following these instructions:
- Create an AutoSuggest dictionary or add an existing AutoSuggest dictionary
- Add AutoText Entries
- Add Termbases
- Enable AutoSuggest in the Options dialog box
- Enable which sources to use for suggestions: AutoSuggest dictionaries, termbases and/or AutoText.
To add an AutoSuggest dictionary:
- Choose where you want to add the AutoSuggest dictionary
- In the dialog box that you chose to open, select Language Pairs > [Source Language Name - Target Language Name] > AutoSuggest dictionaries from the navigation tree
- Click Add
- Browse to the location of the of the AutoSuggest dictionary file (*.bpm), select the file and click Open.
The dictionary is added to the list of selected AutoSuggest dictionaries.
Download our free AutoSuggest dictionaries to help you get started