What is SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1?
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Service Release 1 is an update that contains a number of product enhancements and fixes. Service Releases (SR) are common practice within the software industry to ensure that users continue to get the best from their software investment.
What are the benefits of installing SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1?
By updating to SR1 you are able to benefit from a number of key enhancements to SDL Trados Studio 2017 including:
- New LookAhead feature: improves the retrieval speed of search results when moving from one segment to the next, for a much smoother and instantaneous translating experience.
- Enhancements to upLIFT next-generation translation memory technology:
- upLIFT tool tip reference: ability to see the origin of fuzzy match repairs with new tool tips so it is easier to see their origin.
- AnyTM support: leverage any translation memory regardless of whether its source and target language match the languages of the project and use this with upLIFT to increase productivity.
- upLIFT easy upgrade process: it is now easier to get started with upLIFT with one click of the ‘Upgrade’ button during project set up or in the project settings. A new batch upgrade option is also available in the ‘Upgrade Translation Memories’ wizard so you can upgrade all of your TMs in one go. During the process, you will now be able to follow the progress of the upgrade. Studio will also let you know when you are using a TM that is not enabled for full upLIFT functionality.
- upLIFT for Chinese and Japanese: upLIFT is now also available for Chinese and Japanese - languages that have no spaces between words.
- Enhanced batch processing support for upLIFT Fuzzy Repair: reporting on the number of repaired words is now available. This also means that fuzzy matches will now be repaired in batch (if you pretranslate fuzzy matches), and the best candidate for repaired fuzzy matches will be inserted into the pretranslated segments.
- Ability to insert unrepaired fuzzy match: ability to return to the original fuzzy match at the click of a button if the fuzzy repair correction is not suitable.
Read the Knowledge Base articles and Release Notes for full details and complete list of all improvements.
- Error handling improved: error messages now offer links to specific support resources from the SDL Community and Knowledge Base and are seamlessly integrated with SDL Trados Studio for quicker and more reliable troubleshooting.
- Tech preview of SDL Language Cloud Terminology Beta: translators can now benefit from an expanded set of Terminology resources: they can now access Termbases in the cloud or via desktop and can share and collaborate with others through an intuitive user interface.
- Machine translation enhancements: Google Neural Machine Translation available in Studio and improvements for the flows around using SDL AdaptiveMT, including the update check box.
- A rebranded and refreshed user interface: enhanced contrast in the icons and language pairs are shown more clearly in the Translation Memory and Automated Translation user interface.
- PerfectMatch improvements: the ability to ignore formatting during the PerfectMatch which can help to avoid problems when using PerfectMatch on heavily formatted files. By introducing this option you have more flexibility when working with PerfectMatch.
- File Types update: we are committed to giving users the most sophisticated and robust file type support starting with Word, then Excel, and now PowerPoint. You can now benefit from the new PowerPoint 2.0 file type (beta), including real time preview. PDF file type is now available with Asian OCR recognition (requires separate IRIS add-on) and there is a new option to translate Microsoft Excel content embedded in Microsoft Word files without the need to manually extract it.
- Other enhancements: the ability to set background colour for displaying changes in fuzzy matches.
How does LookAhead work?
The LookAhead technology retrieves results from your translation memory, termbase and machine translation by looking ahead to two segments after the currently selected segment in the background while you are translating your current segment. This means that as soon as you finish translating the current segment and confirm it, you will get instant suggestions for the next segment.
How do I use the Microsoft PowerPoint 2.0 with real time preview (beta)?
The Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2016 file type (beta) now supports a new type of real-time preview that uses the full Microsoft PowerPoint application window to show the updates in real-time. Since this new file type is still in beta, it is not yet the default for handling PowerPoint files. So, to enable the file type PowerPoint 2007-2016 for real-time preview, go to File > Options > File Types > Microsoft PowerPoint 2007-2016. Then click ‘PowerPoint 2007-2016’ and the ‘Move up’ button so this file type is above file type PowerPoint 2007-2013 and press ‘Ok’. Now when a file with a pptx extension is opened in the Studio editor for translation the file type PowerPoint 2007-2016 will be used. When you click real-time preview, a separate window will be generated and PowerPoint 2.0 real time preview will be opened.
Why am I getting a tooltip to upgrade my translation memory?
With Studio 2017 SR1 we are introducing a more robust way of maintaining the health of a TM by adding new indexing data to each translation unit. To get this benefit you will need to upgrade your TM/TMs. Studio will give you a gentle reminder with an orange icon and tooltip to recommend that you upgrade your TM. Not only will this upgrade optimise the performance of the TM, but it will also enable you to enjoy the full benefits of upLIFT technology if your TM is large enough to benefit from fragment recall and fuzzy repair.
You can choose when you want to upgrade a TM and you can also use the ‘Upgrade Translation Memories Wizard’ on the Studio Welcome screen to add multiple TMs to this process to upgrade in a batch. If you are a user with Chinese or Japanese as the source language you will be prompted to upgrade your TM because to enable upLIFT for these languages TMs need to be upgraded more thoroughly by changing the underlying indexing technology. You will receive a prompt, with a message telling you that your TMs must be upgraded, otherwise you won’t get translation results.
Can I upgrade my translation memory to support upLIFT during AnyTM project setup?
No, your TM needs to already be enabled for upLIFT before you add it to a project using AnyTM. You will need to upgrade your translation memory first from either the ‘Upgrade Translation Memories’ button on the Studio ‘Welcome’ page available from the ‘Home’ tab or by clicking the ‘Upgrade’ button during project set up.
Will AnyTM support for upLIFT work for Chinese and Japanese languages?
Yes, but it is important that you first upgrade your translation memory to benefit from full upLIFT functionality before using AnyTM, otherwise you won’t receive translation results. To perform a TM upgrade use the ‘Upgrade Translation Memories’ button on the Studio ‘Welcome’ page available from the ‘Home’ tab. You need to upgrade your translation memory outside of the AnyTM project set up flow because translation memory upgrade is not available during project set up with AnyTM.
How do I use Asian OCR recognition for PDF file types?
You will need to download the IRIS add-on from the SDL AppStore. After installing the add-on, you can switch on the new feature in the PDF file type settings by opening File > Options > File Types > PDF > Converter and under the ‘Recognize PDF text’ heading, tick ‘Use IRIS technology for optimal character recognition’. It will then use the IRIS technology add-on to perform an optical character recognition (OCR) of your Asian source text.
What information will I get in the new error messages?
The error message pop up will have links to the SDL Community and SDL Knowledge Base on it. In the background, a search will be run for the error text in the Community and KB pages, so by clicking on these links, you will be shown the relevant information automatically. You can also look for information from our support team, and the SDL Community so that you can engage with peers or members of the SDL team from these links.
What is SDL Language Cloud Terminology Beta?
This is a beta preview for our new next-generation offering for terminology management. Currently it is difficult to share local file based termbases, you can share termbases through a terminology server but this is limited to larger companies who can afford this solution. Initial functionality in the beta for cloud based terminology is focused around the translator needs: easy creation of termbases, setup, adding and sharing of terms both in Studio and the browser. There is a limit of 5 termbases available for each user account in Language Cloud, but there is no limitation to the termbase size.
Is SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 compatible with previous versions?
Yes, it is! SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 is fully compatible with SDL Trados Studio 2017 and SDL Trados Studio 2015. Your TMs, termbases and project files will work seamlessly within the latest updated version.
How do I upgrade to SDL Trados Studio and MultiTerm 2017 SR1?
When opening either Studio 2017 or MultiTerm 2017, a prompt will appear with instructions regarding how to download SR1 for each application. However, if you do not receive this prompt, please follow the steps below to download SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 and SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1:
The SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 installer will detect the currently installed SDL Trados Studio 2017 software and uninstall it in the background before installing SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1. If you have any problems with the installation or licensing of SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1, please submit a request on the Solution Finder at https://gateway.sdl.com/webtocase.
- Exit SDL Trados Studio 2017 and SDL MultiTerm 2017, and close any Microsoft Office applications
- Login to your SDL Account
- Go to the "Downloads" section. Once in the "Downloads" section, you will see that your SDL Trados Studio 2017/SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 download is clearly marked
- Expand the new SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1/SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1 product name and you will find the SR1 downloads within: - SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 - SDL MultiTerm 2017 SR1
- Click "Download" on each and save the executable files to your local hard disk. Once downloaded, run both executable files one at a time and follow the wizard driven process
Do I have to pay to install SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1?
No, SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 is a free update for all SDL Trados Studio 2017 customers.
If I already have SDL Trados Studio 2017 installed, do I need to return this license before updating to SR1?
No, if you have an SDL Trados Studio 2017 license installed on your computer, you will not need to return this license before you update to SR1.
Is SDL MultiTerm 2017 also updated?
Yes, SDL MultiTerm 2017 also has a free Service Release 1 update to ensure full compatibility with Studio 2017 SR1.
Is SDL Trados GroupShare 2017 also updated?
No, there is no Service Release for SDL Trados GroupShare 2017 at this time.