Whatever a student’s career aspirations are, it is very clear that when they are deciding which academic course they want to apply for, a course that includes vocational training, can make one university much more desirable over another. Increasingly, universities are supplementing their language degree and masters courses with vocational modules, to support their students taking their language skills forward into a professional career. For any new graduate entering the world of commercial translation and localization, they will find that Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) tools are now accepted practice for any localization professional in a translating business.
If you are looking to add a translation technology element into a linguistics course, choosing the right CAT tool may be a daunting prospect. Download 'Teaching Translation Technology in University' eBook and white paper for helpful advice and insight from other experienced lecturers.
Teaching translation technology in university - white paper
With the constant and rapid evolution of CAT tools, it can be difficult to know where to begin when thinking about introducing a CAT tool module into your curriculum. With insights and advice from a number of top lecturers, discover how CAT tools are currently taught in universities around the world.
Teaching translation technology in university - executive summary
This eBook is a condensed version of the full white paper that summarizes the main points to consider when thinking about introducing a CAT tool element into your curriculum.
So why teach SDL Trados Studio as part of your linguistics course? SDL Trados Studio is the market leading CAT tool used by over 250,000 translation professionals across the entire translation supply chain and is recognized across the globe as the tool of choice for translators, translation agencies and corporate translation teams. Ensure your students get the best possible start by including SDL Trados Studio within your syllabus.
SDL has been working with academic partners since 2007, with over 550 members in the program and more joining every year. Join our academic program and we will put you in touch with your local representative who will discuss your individual requirements with you.
- SDL Trados Studio licenses are provided for educational purposes at a highly discounted price
- Professional Studio licenses can be networked on a server domain with full license control for the language lab being administrated by the academic institution
- Additional licenses for lecturers and students for use externally to the lab (e.g. home use) can be made available on a time-limited license basis
- SDL Trados GroupShare licenses are also available at discounted prices should the academic institution wish to teach project management
- A special SDL Language Cloud package is available free of charge to academic institutions who wish to teach machine translation technology
- Academic institutions can award their top two achieving students each year with a free SDL Trados Studio license
- A special SDL Academic Community area is available for news, updates and other member information
- Academic institutions can offer recent graduates significant discounts on SDL Trados Studio
- Academic institutions can purchase SDL Trados Studio licenses for their own business use at a discounted rate
- Support is available, either formally through an SDL product support agreement or informally via a community supported portal.
Read about why other universities have introduced SDL Trados Studio into their curriculum.
As part of SDL Academic membership, universities can offer students free SDL certification examinations. Students have the opportunity to gain this industry recognized qualification through a series of online professional training courses.
The training courses are presented in modular format and each module has an associated examination. Modules range from beginner to advanced and on successful completion of an examination, the students are awarded 'SDL Certified' status thereby proving CAT tool competency in the world's leading CAT tool.
Each examination comes with courseware material in the form of workbooks, presentations and sample files, to help prepare students prior to the SDL exam. We also supply an approved certificate which can be used to support job applications and to supplement CVs.
Details on how to offer this opportunity to your students can be found in the SDL Academic Community.
Member universities can award the two highest achieving students each academic year with a free SDL Trados Studio Freelance license that they can use in their future career.
Lecturers and professors that are members of the academic program are invited to join the SDL academic online community. Join today for members information, news and procedures.