This Privacy Notice explains why and how SDL PLC and its subsidiaries (“SDL”) over our website, and desktop and mobile Apps collect and process your Personal Data. SDL is the Data Controller for Personal Data collected through the SDL websites and SDL Global Solutions (Ireland) Ltd is the Data Controller for Personal Data collected through our on-line shopping activity.
SDL’s objective is to provide our visitors with a quality online experience whilst safeguarding your privacy.
Personal Data is data you would recognise such as your name, date of birth and address but also any data from which you can be personally identified. We ask you to provide some Personal Data and we also automatically collect some of the Personal Data when you register on SDL.com and when you visit pages on our websites. This list describes the types of data we collect from you and process:
- email address, phone number, mobile telephone number and IP address;
- data we use to verify your identity username, passwords and answers to any security questions;
- depending on the services you use: financial information, such as bank account details, Payment Card Details, billing and other information you provide to purchase a product or services and content you generate or that relates to your account;
- from information you provide to us through correspondence, SDL communities, chats, dealing with any complaints, or shared by you from other social applications, services or websites.
The above list is not exhaustive but gives you a general picture. As technology develops more data may be collected automatically from your use of our sites. If we have to ask you to provide more Personal Data we will explain why when we ask for it. We may receive information about you from other sources. We work with third parties, (for example, payment services providers, credit agencies, sub-contractors in technical services and marketing companies) and may receive Personal Data from them about you.
SDL uses the Personal Data you provide:
- To provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- To enable you to partake in SDL Communities activity, SDL Certification or training programs, or other activity on our websites;
- If you enter into a contract for SDL to provide products or services to fulfill our obligations to you, bill you and process the payment;
- If you enter into a contract with SDL to provide products or services to SDL to fulfill our obligations to you, pay you and process the payment;
- Provide an enhanced and personalised user experience when visiting our websites to ensure that content from our site is fully accessible and presented effectively for your computer and you;
- Administer your user account and keep you informed about changes or developments to the websites or our services; and
- Provide you with information by post, telephone, fax, SMS or by email about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about, include you in marketing campaigns for products or services which we consider relevant to you.
SDL uses the Personal Data we automatically collect:
- To enable you to participate in interactive features of our sites;
- To ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- Maintain the security of our sites and services;
- Deliver relevant advertising to you about our products and services and measure the effectiveness of our marketing; and
- Administer our sites through data analysis, testing and support
We may share your Personal Data:
- With any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006;
- As SDL does not have offices in all countries we have appointed Resellers in some countries who sell our products. If we identify you are logging into our website from such a country we will pass your personal data to our Reseller or OEM partner to provide you with an ability to obtain details etc. about our Products;
- Similarly if we identify you are involved in or interested in an industry sector or in a total solution offering where SDL has appointed industry or solution specialist Resellers or OEM partners to sell our products, we will pass your personal data to our Reseller or OEM partner who may contact you to provide you with details etc. about our Products and their services;.
- With organizations we engage as agents or sub-contractors to perform functions on our behalf such as sending customer communications, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing payments and providing customer service. They will have access to Personal Data needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes;
- If SDL sells any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your Personal Data to the prospective buyer of such business or assets and your Personal Data may be one of the transferred assets;
- If SDL is acquired by a third party, in which case your Personal Data will be one of the transferred assets;
- If SDL enters into a joint venture with another business entity, in which case we may disclose your Personal Data to the other business entity;
- To address security or technical issues and
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our legal rights. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organization for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
The Personal Data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Union (“EU”) and European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EU and EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. By submitting your information, you agree to this transfer, storing and or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your information is processed securely. A copy of the applicable documentation ensuring the necessary safeguards can be obtained from SDL using the Contact details below; and
Unless required to do so by law to law enforcement or regulatory agencies or by an order of a Court, or to detect or prevent fraud or to address security or technical issues we will not otherwise share or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
We will not sell, trade or rent Personal Data to unaffiliated third parties except if we have obtained your express permission.
SDL processes your Personal Data either to perform our contractual obligations with you or for legitimate interests associated with the delivery of our business, including sale of products and provision of the services offered on our websites. We may also specifically ask for your consent for processing of your Personal Data in some cases.
We will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law or regulations requires.
You are in control of the Personal Data SDL processes and you can:
- If SDL has obtained your consent to processing your Personal Data withdraw your consent at any time;
- Request confirmation your Personal Data is being processed and a copy of the Personal Data being processed. SDL will respond to any request to the extent required by law and may charge a reasonable fee as provided by applicable law;
- Obtain rectification of any inaccurate Personal Data;
- Obtain the erasure of any Personal Data as provided by applicable law and SDL will erase unless required or entitled to preserve the Personal Data;
- Request SDL to temporarily restrict its processing of your Personal Data while we are investigating a complaint you have;
- Object to processing by SDL as provided by applicable law including profiling of you; and
- Object to your Personal Data being used for direct marketing services to you.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it or you want SDL to stop processing your personal data you can inform us of your request by emailing your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will comply with all lawful requests but can refuse such requests in certain circumstances which you will be informed of if they apply.
- SDL and its subcontractors will maintain appropriate security procedures and practices to safeguard the product and your data against unauthorized access and to maintain the confidentiality of your data in accordance with the applicable law. We employ strict physical, electronic and administrative security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage both on-line and off-line. The data is encrypted when in transit between your device and the SDL system and our product is hosted in a third party data centre with industry leading security.
- The Internet is an inherently open and insecure means of communication, any data a user transmits over the Internet may be susceptible to interception and alteration. SDL makes no guarantee regarding, and assumes no liability for, the security and integrity of any data you transmit over the Internet, including any data transmitted via any server designated as "secure". You should not have an expectation of privacy in any content, including accounts of files transmitted through the internet.
No website can be completely secure. If you have concerns your SDL.com account may have been compromised please contact SDL using Contact below.
If you are unhappy with the way SDL is processing your Personal Data please contact the Privacy Officer, using the Contact Details below.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Supervisory Authority responsible for overseeing the processing of Personal Data. For SDL this is:
The Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
Information Commissioner's Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number
Fax: 01625 524 510
Email: Please see the ICO website
Email at: email@example.com
FAO: Privacy Officer (Legal Department)
New Globe House
Vanwall Business Park
TEL: + 44 (0) 1628 760610
Fax: +44 (0) 1628 760611
SDL PLC is a company registered in England with registered number 02675207 of New Globe House, Vanwall Road, Vanwall Business Park Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 4UB, United Kingdom, and includes all its affiliate and subsidiary companies and entities.
Last updated: May 2018